Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

What I need

I'm sitting here in the bath while RJ takes a nap. I'm wishing I could write Mother Nature a nice little letter to CALM DOWN the wind that's making random objects smack into my house and wake up my baby. Damnit.

I need a pedicure so bad. I haven't shaved my legs since we moved back to Utah, over a month... Yikes. I haven't washed my hair since Monday but hey, I take baths daily so don't worry, no need to stay too far away. I don't smell THAT bad. 

Since when did I forget to take care of myself? I'm delusional today and crying like a freak of nature. Chalk it up to hormones, whatever. But, I've given so much of myself to RJ that I have forgotten myself. 

Chance told me to get away from the baby before I lose my $h*t. It may be too late for losing my mind, but... He said that when you're on an airplane they ALWAYS tell you to put the oxygen on YOURSELF a first, then take care of the child's oxygen. You can't be a wounded healer... Right? I need to take care of myself and do things for myself.

How do you do that at this stage in the baby's life!? They need SO much of your attention right now. He can't do anything for himself. Except puke. He even needs help taking a crap,as of late. 

I've tried to just do things for myself while he naps, like nap myself or do my hair and makeup and get dressed EVERY DAY. I don't let myself stay in sweats, it just doesn't help me feel productive. And I get my lashes done and leave him with my mom, so that helps me get away. But, it's still not enough. I still feel like I need to make more time for ME. Then I can give RJ a better version of me, and more importantly I can be a better wife. 

Let's be honest, husbands really get the crap end of the deal here. Wife neglect, a baby they don't understand but they hopefully gain a new found respect for moms. 

So, I want to hear what you do to help you take care of yourself so you don't get lost in this mom stuff...? I realize this may be a simple thing like getting a drink from Swig, or grocery shopping without kids. Whatever it may be, what works for YOU?


6 comments:

  1. I get my hour break daily during cam's nap and I lock Weston in his room at the same time for "quiet time." I NEED that break badly. It's so exhausting being a mom! It'll get a little better when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm...music, listen to music, write music, learn a new song...sing...i like to listen to talks and at the same time doodle some ridiculously/unnecessarily crafty cheesy love note for Jeremy (that he doesnt really care that much for) BUT I LOVE TO COLOr...So i do :) um....Drives...love drives...alone. get a DC, go through the car wash, look for someone to smile at or a see SOMEONE that can be my witness that I actually got ready for the day and got dressed. Sometimes a nice long texting convo or a good phone call to a BF helps me...or i find a crazy fattening treat to bake, eat as much as i can and then deliver the rest to my vting sisters. I love to write cards and thank yous and SEND THEM through the MAIL. so special. hmmmm....thanks for letting me share all the stuff i like to do in my HAley time. its nice to feel like ME every once in a while, and so something that I enjoy. PS so excited about your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it is normal to feel that way for first time mom. It sure helped me when I met with my friends for lunch or anything every week. It made me a better mom too. Leave RJ with me anytime!!! I would love that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'm totally coming for a visit after all this moving shiz is over! I need to tell you a little story about a crazy lady named Andrea. Like, seriously. I admire you so much for realizing so soon into motherhood that you NEED to take time for yourself. Beau was in school for the 11 (out of 12) years that we've been married and I was pretty much a single mom for 9 of them. I have forgotten for way too long to take care of me. These past two months since Presley has been in school full time I was starting to feel like me again and then.....bam! Moving and you know the rest. It's ok. We can huff peppermint oil and cry together ok?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to figure it out...and it's been a year and a half! Half the time I just can't wait to shower any longer so I will just get in the bath and let pax play in the water with his toys while he stands on the outside, or he will just climb in fully clothed! Haha no...seriously. It's happened. Now that he wakes up at a certain time and finally sleeps through the night (as of 1 year...) I SHOULD start getting up an hour early to work out and shower before he wakes up...but do I? Maybe once. So I will check back on the comments and maybe get some ideas. Now that I'm close to my family again I need to start USING them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a constant shifting for me- it depends on where I am in my life and what is going on. Getting up before kids has been the most helpful for me. Exercising and getting a shower in before the day begins always makes me feel better and then I can handle what comes my way. For a while it was working part time and then full time. I needed to remind myself of the skills and talents I had that did not involve being mom. (Kind of ironic since I worked with newborns and their moms!) Hubby and I share many responsibilities. Whenever we have a newborn I do feeding and diaper changes at night but he puts baby back to sleep. That way we both get some sleep. It also gave him snuggle and bonding time with baby which dads need too. We share bathing, cleaning and cooking responsibilities as much as possible which give me time to take a mental break. Reading and blogging are how I take mental care of myself. As for things like nails and hair... still working on that one!

    ReplyDelete