Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

Not so funny post...

This past weekend we left RJ with my mom and Gary overnight. This was the first time I have left him overnight. Honestly, I thought it would be hard and that I would miss him so much.

Here's the truth, my marriage is so important. Chance and I have been apart so much from his work travels and stuff that we have needed time together outside of being parents. So, in those moments when I would catch myself thinking about RJ, I would remind myself that not only do Chance and I need this break, but it's so good for RJ to get used to being away from me! 

We both need to be okay apart sometimes. He needs to learn to be okay with other people so he's not always attached to me. So, that motivated me not to miss him as much as I probably could have. Especially because we were at the sand dunes with no cell phone reception unless we drove to the top of the mountain. So, I was forced not to check up! (It also helps that I trust my mom.)

Anyways, now that I am home I have such a sense of urgency to continue to put my marriage first. While my sweet boy is everything to me, I also need to remember that the VERY best thing I can give RJ is a happy home with loving parents. If I divulge into being the best mom and giving 100% of myself to him all day, all Chance gets are my leftovers. And forget about taking care of myself. 

Luckily, Chance is very low maintenance. But, my main point here is that even if it's a date night once a week or month that's even an hour long... It's so important that Chance and I take the time to still date and remember what it's like without the little dude around. 

We may be going to Canada for four days for some Christmas festivities here in a month and leaving RJ with my sister in law. It will be hard to leave him for that long but, we will need a recharge again by then. 

I guess my reason for being so personal about my marriage and finding a balance is that when the days all seem the same and you have postpartum depression - you sort of need something to look forward to. That is so important for me. 

So, I know many of you have dealt with this and I hope you can accept my challenge to put your spouse first. I really believe when we do this that we are able to forgive one another better and bring about a spirit of love in our homes that our kids can learn from. 

I also told myself when I was pregnant that "I don't want the baby to become our life, I want him to join our life." I honestly believe that is possible. 

It's still important to be Leslee, to be Chances wife and just as important to be RJs mama. It's a daily task to find that balance as you know... But if I am putting my efforts anywhere, that's where I want it to be. Giving just enough of myself to those things so I can feel accomplished, and still know who I am. 

Now, here in a few weeks I'll need to read this post. Probably a few times... Just because I feel this way doesn't mean I'm good at applying it. So, here goes!


2 comments:

  1. Great post and great reminder! It's true. The most important thing kids can see is their parents loving each other and treating each other that way. I know I can improve! Life gets in the way but that's no excuse. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm awful at this! At the end of the day I'm TIred and done! I need to do this! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete